The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has directed the withdrawal of cybercrime charges filed against two Nigerians, Maryam Isah Shehu and Abubakar Shuraim Abdulhamad, following appeals for leniency.
According to SaharaReporters, the directive was issued by the Executive Chairman of the EFCC, Ola Olukoyede, barely a day after the defendants were arraigned separately before the Federal High Court in Abuja.
The two defendants appeared before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik on Thursday, August 20, 2026, over separate allegations involving social media publications which the Commission said were intended to damage its reputation.
The EFCC said Olukoyede reconsidered the prosecution after receiving appeals from members of the public and apologies from Shehu’s father.

The Commission subsequently directed that the charges filed against the two young Nigerians be discontinued.
Defendants Pleaded Not Guilty
Shehu had been arraigned on an amended one-count charge relating to a publication made through her Instagram account.
The EFCC alleged that she published claims that its officials assaulted one Ahmed Uthman on the instruction of a zonal director who allegedly received ₦20 million from Usman Iya Abbas.
Abdulhamad was separately accused of fabricating an image resembling an official EFCC arrest placard and publishing it through his X account, @shuraimi.
The Commission alleged that the publications contravened Section 24(2)(c) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc.) Act, 2015, as amended in 2024.

Both defendants pleaded not guilty when the charges were read to them.
Justice Abdulmalik ordered that Shehu be remanded at the Suleja Correctional Centre, while Abdulhamad was remanded at the Kuje Correctional Centre.
The matter had been adjourned until August 31, 2026, for the hearing of their bail applications and commencement of trial before the EFCC announced the withdrawal directive.
EFCC Warns Against Attacks on Its Reputation
Despite ordering the withdrawal of the charges, Olukoyede warned that the Commission would not tolerate deliberate attacks against its reputation through any platform or medium.
He assured Nigerians that the EFCC would continue to perform its statutory responsibilities in accordance with its mandate and the national interest.
Group Questioned EFCC’s Powers
Before the withdrawal directive, civic technology organisation MonITNG had questioned whether protecting the EFCC’s institutional reputation through criminal prosecution formed part of the Commission’s statutory mandate.
The organisation argued that although publishing false information or fabricating documents could constitute offences, allegations centred principally on reputational damage should be addressed through appropriate legal procedures.
It also warned that prosecuting citizens for publications critical of public institutions could discourage journalists, activists and social media users from scrutinising government agencies.
The EFCC’s directive means that the prosecution will no longer continue on the basis of the filed charges, subject to the necessary formal court procedures for their withdrawal.
READ MORE:
EFCC Arraigns Three Over Alleged ₦23m Land Fraud
EFCC Denies Political Motive in Malami Investigation


