The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has ordered the withdrawal of cybercrime charges filed against Maryam Isah Shehu and Abubakar Shuraim Abdulhamad following appeals for leniency.
The directive was issued by the EFCC Executive Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, barely a day after the two defendants were arraigned separately before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court in Abuja.
According to SaharaReporters, the defendants were arraigned on Thursday, August 20, 2026, over allegations relating to cybercrime and publications which the Commission claimed were intended to damage its reputation.
The EFCC subsequently announced that Olukoyede had considered the pleas and apologies made by Shehu’s father, alongside appeals from Nigerians asking the Commission to show compassion.
The anti-graft agency said its chairman had consequently directed that the charges against the two young Nigerians be dropped. The EFCC’s statement was issued by its Head of Media and Publicity, Dele Oyewale.
Defendants Pleaded Not Guilty
Shehu had faced an amended one-count charge alleging that she used her Instagram account, @maryamshehu, to publish claims concerning the alleged assault of one Ahmed Uthman by EFCC officials.
The publication reportedly alleged that the assault was carried out on the instruction of an EFCC zonal director who had allegedly received ₦20 million from one Usman Iya Abbas.
Abdulhamad was separately accused of fabricating an image resembling an official EFCC arrest placard and publishing it through his X account, @shuraimi.
The Commission alleged that their actions violated Section 24(2)(c) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc.) Act, 2015, as amended in 2024.
Both defendants pleaded not guilty to the respective charges.
Justice Abdulmalik ordered that Shehu be remanded at the Suleja Correctional Centre in Niger State, while Abdulhamad was remanded at the Kuje Correctional Centre in the Federal Capital Territory.
The cases had been adjourned until August 31 for the hearing of their bail applications and commencement of trial.
EFCC Cites Appeals for Leniency
The EFCC said Olukoyede “compassionately ordered” the withdrawal after considering the apology offered by Shehu’s father and appeals from well-meaning Nigerians.
“To this end, he has directed that charges filed against the two young Nigerians be dropped,” the Commission stated.
The EFCC, however, warned that it would no longer tolerate deliberate attacks on its institutional image through any medium or platform.
Olukoyede also assured Nigerians that the Commission would continue to operate within its statutory mandate and in the national interest.
MonITNG Questioned EFCC’s Powers
Before the withdrawal directive, civic technology organisation MonITNG had questioned the legal basis for the prosecution.
The organisation argued that Nigerians deserved clarification on whether defending the EFCC’s reputation through criminal prosecution fell within the agency’s statutory mandate.
MonITNG acknowledged that false publications and fabricated documents could constitute criminal offences but raised concerns about prosecutions centred principally on alleged reputational damage to a government institution.
The group warned that such proceedings could have a chilling effect on journalists, activists and citizens who scrutinise public agencies.
It maintained that public institutions should not deploy criminal proceedings merely because they consider themselves criticised or embarrassed.
Formal Court Process Required
The EFCC chairman’s directive means that the Commission intends to discontinue the cases.
However, the necessary formal court procedures must still be completed before the prosecutions are legally brought to an end.
Until then, no court has determined the guilt of either defendant, and both remain entitled to the presumption of innocence.
READ MORE:
The Vital Role of Ethical Conduct in Prosecution
FG Declares Zero Tolerance for Cybercrime


