Gunmen Invade Mosque, Kidnap Worshippers

LegalLinkz


Gunmen have abducted an unspecified number of Muslim worshippers following attacks on communities in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State.

According to Naija News, the attacks occurred shortly after Friday prayers in communities including Dekara, Gidan Zana, Sabon Gida and Masaka.

The lawmaker representing the area, Jafar Muhammad Shetiman Borgu, confirmed the incident but said the exact number of people taken away had yet to be established.

Worshippers Taken Into Forest

According to Vanguard, the attackers reportedly surrounded a mosque after the conclusion of Friday prayers and forced several worshippers into the surrounding forest.

- Advertisement -
Ad image

Some residents reportedly escaped, while others sustained machete injuries during the invasion.

The lawmaker said the gunmen later moved into neighbouring communities, where they allegedly carried out further abductions.

Youths and heads of households were said to be among those taken away.

“Some people managed to escape, while others sustained machete wounds. The attackers entered the mosque after Friday prayers, surrounded the mosque and took worshippers into the forest,” the lawmaker said.

He added that the attackers subsequently moved into surrounding settlements and abducted more residents after the prayers.

Police Confirm Attack

The Niger State Police Command subsequently confirmed that suspected terrorists abducted an unspecified number of people during Friday prayers at about 2:00 p.m. on Friday, August 21, 2026.

- Advertisement -
Ad image

Police spokesperson SP Wasiu Abiodun said the developing report specifically identified Gidan-Zana, Kpenya village and Kpenya Mosque in the Dekara District as affected locations.

The police said no death had been recorded based on the information available and that a joint security detachment had been deployed for assessment and rescue operations.

The difference between the communities named in the initial reports and those contained in the police statement may be clarified as security agencies complete their assessment.

Attackers Yet to Be Identified

Shetiman Borgu alleged that forests surrounding the area had become hideouts for suspected members of the Lakurawa and Mamudawa groups.

However, no security agency had formally identified the group responsible for the attack at the time of filing this report.

The identities and exact number of the abducted worshippers also remained unknown.

Reports indicated that Borgu’s difficult terrain, poor roads and damaged infrastructure could affect the speed of the security response in some of the affected communities.

The attack has heightened fear across Borgu, which shares boundaries with Kebbi and Kwara states and the Republic of Benin.

Residents are awaiting further information as security agencies continue efforts to locate the victims and apprehend the attackers.

READ MORE:

Nigerian Police Arrest 26 Foreigners for Alleged Kidnapping

Altar Servant Masterminds Abduction of Two Catholic Priests

Latest Crime Reports on Legallinkz

Legallinkz Home

author avatar
LegalLinkz
Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *