Human rights activist and then-presidential candidate of the African Action Congress, Omoyele Sowore, condemned the alleged assault on Prophet Chukwuemeka Ohanaemere, popularly known as Odumeje, during the demolition of part of his church in Onitsha, Anambra State.
The incident occurred on July 7, 2022, during an enforcement exercise at the Mountain of Holy Ghost Intervention and Deliverance Ministry in the Fegge area of Onitsha.
According to SaharaReporters, personnel attached to the Anambra State task force and security agencies were accused of physically attacking the cleric after he confronted them during the demolition exercise.
Sowore described the treatment of Odumeje as cruel, inhuman and degrading, insisting that the soldiers and police officers allegedly involved should be identified, arrested and prosecuted.
“This attack on Pastor Chukwuemeka Ohanaemere ‘Odumeje’ by soldiers/policemen is cruel, inhuman and a violation of his dignity. It amounts to torture and degrading treatment,” Sowore said.
He further argued that state governments should not deploy soldiers and other security personnel to undertake civilian enforcement activities.
“The soldiers or policemen involved must be arrested and prosecuted. Nigerian states must be disallowed from using soldiers and security agents to carry out civilian activities,” he added.
Videos circulated at the time showed security operatives pushing and striking Odumeje while he attempted to approach the demolition site. Several public figures subsequently condemned the conduct of the officers.
Anambra Government Explains Demolition
The Anambra State Government said the affected church structure was removed as part of the Onitsha Urban Renewal Plan.
The government maintained that the structure was erected along the Nwagene stream at Odoakpu and had obstructed a drainage channel.
It also stated that notices had been issued to owners of structures considered illegal or situated on waterways before the demolition exercise commenced.
The demolition reportedly affected only the section of the church identified as encroaching on the drainage channel rather than the entire ministry complex.
Claims that the exercise was politically motivated were not substantiated in the reports reviewed. The state government maintained that the action formed part of a wider programme to remove structures obstructing waterways and implement the Onitsha development plan.
READ MORE:
Latest Human Rights Reports on Legallinkz
Latest Security News on Legallinkz


