Two commercial tricycle operators in Borno State, Mohammed Bukar and Ibrahim Muhammad, have regained their freedom after the Court of Appeal overturned their conviction over allegations connected to the August 1, 2024 #EndBadGovernance protest.
The men had spent an extended period in detention after authorities accused them of participating in the protest and inciting public disturbance. They maintained, however, that they had already been arrested and placed in custody before the nationwide demonstration began.
Speaking with DCL Hausa in an interview monitored by SaharaReporters, Bukar said he was arrested on July 22, 2024—several days before the August 1 protest. He explained that their case was also linked to the activities of the Keke-Napep riders’ association and its demands from the Borno State Government.
The men’s lawyer, Barrister Hamza Nuhu Dantani, said the Court of Appeal found significant problems with their detention, prosecution and conviction.

According to Dantani, the appellate court strongly criticised the proceedings before the Borno State High Court, particularly the decision to sentence the men despite shortcomings in the prosecution’s evidence.
A major issue in the case was the contradiction between the date of the arrests and the date of the protest.
The documents presented by the prosecution reportedly showed that the accused persons were arrested on July 22, 2024, while the protest they were alleged to have joined did not take place until August 1, 2024.
Dantani argued that the prosecution failed to establish that the defendants participated in any activity capable of causing public unrest or threatening the safety of other people.
Despite the alleged evidential gaps, the trial court sentenced the men to five years’ imprisonment. Their lawyer maintained that some of those convicted were already in police custody when the protest occurred.

Following the appellate court’s decision, Dantani called on the Borno State Government to acknowledge the injustice suffered by the men, apologise to their families and provide compensation for their prolonged detention.
He said the consequences extended beyond the time spent in prison, noting that a criminal conviction could have affected their eligibility to contest elections and exercise other legal rights.
A youth leader, Hassan Weda, also welcomed their release and accused the authorities of failing to conduct a proper investigation before detaining and prosecuting them.
Weda said the Court of Appeal’s decision demonstrated the importance of thoroughly investigating allegations before depriving citizens of their liberty.
Dantani further urged Nigerian lawyers and the Nigerian Bar Association to remain committed to defending fundamental rights, due process and the rule of law whenever citizens face unlawful treatment.
READ MORE:
Latest Human Rights Reports on Legallinkz


