A Nigerian national, Maazi Okechuku Augustine, has been remanded by the Accra Circuit Court in Ghana over his alleged involvement in a foiled bank robbery operation targeting three commercial banks in the country’s capital.
According to Sahara Reporters, Augustine was arrested on August 13, 2026, after the Ghana Police Service claimed it disrupted a planned attack on GCB Bank, Ecobank, and Zenith Bank in the Labone area of Accra.
Police said intelligence reports indicated that an armed gang was preparing to strike the banks, prompting officers to deploy to the area.
The police alleged that one of the suspects fled in a vehicle after noticing security operatives, while another was apprehended following a pursuit. Officers also claimed that occupants of a second vehicle opened fire while attempting to escape, leading to a gun battle in which two suspects were killed.

Authorities said they recovered two vehicles—a Toyota Highlander and a Hyundai Tucson—as well as a pistol during the operation.
However, Sahara Reporters noted that the incident has generated controversy following a statement by GCB Bank, which denied that its Labone branch was attacked or that any attempted robbery occurred on its premises.
The bank maintained that its operations were never disrupted and that no staff member, customer, funds or property was affected.
The report also highlighted further questions surrounding one of the vehicles allegedly linked to the suspects after checks reportedly showed that the Toyota Highlander bearing the registration number cited by police had previously been listed by Ghanaian authorities as an impounded vehicle in 2019.
The development has prompted scrutiny of aspects of the police narrative.

The Nigerian High Commission in Ghana has also taken an interest in the matter.
Its Media Coordinator, Destiny Austine Omon, questioned several aspects of the police account, including the alleged target location and the recovery of only a single pistol despite claims of a coordinated attack on three banks.
He also noted that the area where the alleged operation was foiled is one of the most heavily secured locations in Ghana, situated near military installations, the Presidency and police headquarters.
According to Sahara Reporters, the President of the All Nigerian Communities in Ghana has also engaged the Ghana Police Service to seek clarification regarding Augustine’s arrest and the deaths of the two other suspects.
Despite the questions raised, the Ghana Police Service has maintained that its officers successfully prevented a planned robbery.
Augustine remains in custody and is expected to return before the Accra Circuit Court on Wednesday as investigations continue.
READ MORE:


